The 34th Annual Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run
Saturday, Jan. 18
Rainy River Community College
(Start and Finish)
5K Fun Run: 9:30 a.m.
10K Race: 10:30 a.m.
& Icebox Days XXXIV
The 2014 Icebox Days Schedule of Events
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
- DQ Celebrates the FYGBR: The Dairy Queen Grill & Chill of International Falls will again celebrate Icebox Days by naming a DQ BLIZZARD in honor of the Freeze yer Gizzard Blizzard Run. Bernice and staff will offer a new and exciting Blizzard combination beginning Jan. 9 (through Jan. 18) to sample before voting on this year’s choices for the official Blizzard of the 34rd Annual FYGBR. The winning Blizzard will be announced Friday, Jan. 17. The Dairy Queen will offer this Blizzard at half price on Jan. 18. Call Rhonda 218-821-7194 for more information.
- Snow Sculptures: Snow sculptures could start appearing Wednesday in Smokey Bear Park. Weather permitting, area students from St. Thomas and Falls Elementary Schools will create magic in the snow.
- January 16-19 — You are invited to “Red Solo Cup Days” at the VFW Post located at 1416 Third Avenue (Hwy. 53 South) during International Falls Icebox Days. Play pull tabs, enjoy music Friday and Saturday and Bingo Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. Sharpies furnished. Call 283-8777, Maxine, for more information.
- 6 p.m. — RRCC Women’s Basketball vs. Northland – Rainy River Community College Gym
- 8 p.m. — RRCC Men’s Basketball vs. Northland – Rainy River Community College Gym
Thursday, January 16, 2014
- 5:30 – 7 p.m. — History Café at The Coffee Landing, sponsored by Northland Foundation. Share your stories about this month’s theme: Downtown Restaurants of the 1900s to the present – All ages. Soup and sandwiches provided. Call ISD 361 Community Ed at 283-2571, ext. 186 for more information.
- 5:45 – 9:30 p.m. — St. Thomas Aquinas Bingo Night at Aquinas Hall. Doors open at 5:45 p.m. Bingo starts at 7 p.m. Everyone is welcome. Sponsored by St. Thomas School, 283-3430.
- 6:00 p.m. — Wing Eating Contest at Viking Bar. Come and test your wing-eating skills. Each person will get 12 wings. The first person to finish their wings wins. First Prize – $75, Second Prize - $50 and Third Prize – $25. Call Viking Bar for more information, 283-4000.
- 7 p.m. — Icebox Idol Karaoke in Backus Auditorium. No age limit, everyone welcome. Fee is $5 per song to perform and $5 per person for admission. Call Backus for more information at 285-7225.
- 7 – 9 p.m. — Cribbage at Loyal Order of the Moose Lodge 1259 $5 fee. For more information contact Marc Windsness at 283-8268 or the Moose Lodge at 283-3615.
- 7 – 8 p.m. — Red Neck Trivia at Viking Bar. There are five rounds of Trivia with 10 questions each. Each round a winner will be determined by most questions correctly answered out of 10. The winner receives a free drink for each round won. Call Viking Bar at 283-4000 for more information.
Friday, January 17, 2014
- 5 p.m. — Spaghetti Dinner A savory spaghetti dinner and bake sale in St. Thomas Aquinas Hall, 810 Fifth Street. Whether you’re a runner who needs to carb up for the Freeze Yer gizzard Blizzard Run or just plain hungry, don’t miss this yummy spaghetti feed. Free will offerings accepted. Sponsored by St. Thomas School. Call Betsy Ward at 283-2590.
- 5 – 7:30 p.m. — Gizzard Supper by Lenard’s Restaurant Sloppy joe or spaghetti with beverage. RRCC Commoms (During FYGBR registration). Everyone welcome, $5 per person.
- 5 – 8 p.m. — Registration & Packet Pickup – “Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run” 10K and 5K: Commons at Rainy River Community College. Contact the Chamber of Commerce at 218-283-9400 or 800-325-5766. Registration fee is $40 after Dec. 31 and includes a long-sleeve Performance B-Core wicking T-shirt. Packets for participants will also be available before the run on Saturday morning. Packet info also available at www.freezeyergizzardrun.com.
- 6 – 7:30 p.m. — Moonlight Snowshoe Hike in Voyageurs National Park. Meet at the Rainy Lake Visitor Center, 6 p.m. Come celebrate Icebox Days at your national park. Join a park ranger for a snowshoe walk in the North Woods by the light of the moon. The full moon creates a majestic winter experience on these crisp, clear Minnesota nights. Enjoy the night sky and our snowy wonderland. Snowshoes provided. Warm up afterward with a campfire and hot cocoa. Contact Justin Olson at 283-5258. Sponsored by Voyageurs National Park.
- 6 – 8 p.m. — Ugly Hat Contest Summer or Winter hats. So long as it’s UGLY, who Cares! Contact the Moose Lodge for more info at 283-3615
- 7 p.m. — BARGO at the Viking Bar. BARGO is just like BINGO, but bar style. Every 10 minutes there is a chance for you to win a free drink. Cards are given out until 8 p.m. only. Buy a drink, and get a card to play for FREE! At 9 p.m., Blackout BARGO starts. Cover your entire card in a certain amount of numbers and win the Jackpot! Call 283-4000 for more information.
- 10 p.m. — Can Crushing Contest at the Viking Bar. Contestants will be given a crusher and cans. Whoever crushes the most cans in one minute wins. First place wins $50. 9:15 p.m. — FREE TouchTunes Jukebox at the Viking Bar. Call 283-4000 for more information. Call 283-4000 for more information.
Saturday, January 18, 2014
- 7 – 10:30 a.m. — Pancake Breakfast at the Elk’s Lodge No. 1599. Sponsored by Falls Education Foundation. Free will offering. Contact Kay Herman at 218-283-4024 for more information.
- 8 – 10 a.m. — Registration for the 5k and 10 Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run at Rainy River Community College Commons. (5K registration closes at 9 a.m. & 10K registration closes at 10 a.m.) RRCC showers and locker rooms are available UNTIL 12:30 P.M. ONLY.
- 9:30 a.m. — 5K Fun Run “Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run” 5K Run starts and finishes at Rainy River Community College. Sponsored by Boise Paper, Coca-Cola Bottling Co., Inc., Midcontinent Communications, Rainy River Community College, The Journal/North Star Publishing, Minnesota Power, KSDM/KGHS Radio, 93.1 The Border and Minnesota Energy Resources. Entry Fee is $40 and includes a long-sleeve Performance Wicking T-shirt. A premiere event of Icebox Days! Contact the Chamber of Commerce, 1-800-325-5766 or 218-283-9400. Be BOLD and RUN THE COLD!
- 10:30 a.m. — 10K Race “Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run” 10K Run starts and finishes at Rainy River Community College. Sponsored by Boise Paper, Coca-Cola Bottling Co., Inc., Midcontinent Communications, Rainy River Community College, The Journal/North Star Publishing, Minnesota Power, KSDM/KGHS Radio, 93.1 The Border and Minnesota Energy Resources. Entry Fee is $40 and includes a long-sleeve Performance Wicking T-shirt. This is the premiere event of Icebox Days! It has been featured by media nationally and internationally. Unpredictable weather conditions for this famous 10k run is part of the adventure! Runners return year after frosty year. Contact the Chamber of Commerce, 1-800-325-5766 or 218-283-9400. Be BOLD and Run the COLD!
- 10 a.m. — Icebox Boot Hockey Tournament at Eighth Street Rink. Get a team of 10 gals and guys together, three males & two females on the ice at all times) and join in this fun sport during the winter festival. $75 participation fee per team. 100% Payback – First, Second and Third places. Chamber-awarded cash prizes (Chamber Dollars). Contacts: Chad Korpi at 218-324-1172 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Jesse Belanger at 218-324-1299 or email email@example.com. Adherence to rules and disclaimer-signed agreements by participants are required. (Kerry Park secondary rink venue if needed)
- 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. — “Free Water Painting the Northwoods” Water Color Painting Demonstration by Sharon Arnold, Kathie Fluke and Kat Ruelle. Back room of The Coffee Landing.
- 10:45 a.m. — Awards Ceremony 5K Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Fun Run held at Rainy River Community College Commons. Hosted by the infamous Gizzard Girls!
- 11:45 a.m. — Awards Ceremony 10K Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run held at Rainy River Community College Commons. Hosted by the infamous Gizzard Girls!
- Noon — Dart Tournament at Border Bar & Pizza House. $5 entry, 300% payback. Sign up at 11 a.m. Call Bob at 283-9919 for more information.
- 1 p.m. — Toilet Seat Toss at Viking Bar. Great event for both kids and adults! Come to the Viking Bar and test your toilet-seat-tossing skills. Those that toss the seat the furthest, win! Winning child gets a certificate for $20 to Dairy Queen. Seats provided by Viking Bar. Winning adult gets a certificate for $25 to the Viking Bar, 283-4000.
- 1 – 3 p.m. — “Chili Challenge” at Backus. Chili recipes: eat for $6. Includes chili, toppings and beverage. Kids under age 12, accompanied by a paid adult, eat for $2. Vote for your favorite chili, trophies for 1st and 2nd place awarded. Individuals, groups and businesses encouraged to enter! Call Backus at 285-7225 for more information.
- 1 – 3 p.m. — “Turkey Bowling” FREE outdoor event, and one of our most famous events. Bowling lane outdoors at Backus Community Center. Throw a frozen gobbler down the lane to knock down as many pins as possible. Prizes awarded. Supervised by Falls High Student Council. Call Backus at 285-7225 for information. Disclaimer agreements required.
- 1 – 3 p.m. — Kids Activities. Free indoor fun for the kids at Backus Community Center. Sponsored by Falls High School Student Council. 285-7225
- 1 p.m. — Bingo at the Loyal Order of Moose Club 1259: Contact the Moose Club, 283-3615.
- 1:30 p.m. — Redneck Winter Wonder Wear Contest at the Viking Bar. Dress in your best Redneck Winter Clothing. Winner will be judged on creativity and receives $50 cash. Contact the Viking Bar at 283-4000 for more information.
- 2 p.m. — RRCC Womens Basketball game against Mesabi at RRCC. Call Tammy Wood at 285-2267 for more information.
- 2:30 p.m. — KID SMOOSH Races return at Viking Bar. Third year for Icebox Days Smoosh Races for kids 14 and under! Form a team with two kids and be at the Viking Bar (Downtown Int’l Falls) by 2:15 pm. $20 to the winner! Everyone will receive a prize for participating! Contact Chris at 218-324-0391 for more information! Will supply kids’ Smoosh boards & hot treats!
- 3 p.m. — ADULT SMOOSH Races at Viking Bar. It’s time for the famous Icebox Days Smoosh Races. Form a team of four people and be at the Viking Bar by 2:30 p.m. $100 to the winner by the Chamber of Commerce. Ages 15 and older! Contact Chris at 218-324-0391 for more information!
- 4 p.m. — RRCC Mens Basketball game against Mesabi at RRCC. Call Tammy Wood at 285-2267 for information.
- 6 – 8 p.m. — Runners Reception at Border Bar and Pizza House, 415 Third Ave. Admission/food with provided white ticket. First drink at 1/2 price for all runners with blue ticket. Enjoy DVD of 2013 races, snacks, coffee, water. FREE for registered runners. Non-runners $5 fee for snacks. Cash bar, FAMOUS BEACH PARTY follows in same locale! Cool contests – Cool Prizes.
- 6 p.m. — FIREWORKS by the City of International Falls!! Returning under the winter sky in Smokey Bear Park. Gather along Third Street area.
- 7 p.m. — RRCC Women’s Hockey vs NDSU – Bronco Arena
- 9 p.m. – 1 a.m. — The Famous Beach Party! This year at the Border Bar and Pizza, 415 Third Ave. Zany contests! Come as you are or dress for the beach. Dance party is open to adults of legal drinking age.
Sunday, January 19, 2014
- 12:00 p.m. — RRCC Women’s Hockey vs NDSU – Bronco Arena
- 1:30 p.m. — Bridge Tournament at First Lutheran Church. Cash prizes in Chamber Dollars by the Chamber of Commerce. Everyone welcome to participate, folks should come with a partner. Contact Byrne & Carole Johnson at 218-286-5225.
- 1 – 4 p.m. – Hot Dog Roast at the Tilson Creek Ski Trailhead on Highway 11 east. Bring your cross country skis and enjoy a day on the Tilson Trail – Afterwards enjoy hot dogs and cocoa as you warm by a toasty bonfire. Cancelled if below 0°F. Polar Polers Ski Club: Teresa, 286-2036, for more information