The 36th Annual Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run
Saturday, Jan. 16, 2016
Rainy River Community College
(Start and Finish)
5K Fun Run: 9:30 a.m.
10K Race: 10:30 a.m.
& Icebox Days XXXVI
The 2016 Icebox Days Schedule of Events!
Wednesday, January 13, 2016
- DQ Celebrates the FYGBR: The Dairy Queen Grill & Chill of International Falls will again celebrate Icebox Days by naming a DQ BLIZZARD in honor of the Freeze yer Gizzard Blizzard Run. Bernice and staff will offer a new and exciting Blizzard combination beginning Jan. 9 (through Jan. 15) to sample before voting on this year’s choices for the official Blizzard of the 36th Annual FYGBR. The winning Blizzard will be announced Friday, Jan. 15. The Dairy Queen will offer this Blizzard at half price on Jan. 16. Call Rhonda 218-821-7194 for more information.
- Snow Sculptures: Snow sculptures could start appearing Wednesday in Smokey Bear Park. Weather permitting, area students from St. Thomas and Falls Elementary Schools will create magic in the snow.
Thursday, January 14, 2016
- January 14-16 — You are invited to “Red Solo Cup Days” (Sharpies furnished) at the VFW Post located at 1416 Third Avenue (Hwy. 53 South) during International Falls Icebox Days. Play pull tabs, enjoy music Friday and Saturday. Call 283-8777, Maxine, for more information.
- 4 p.m. — Bronco Boys JV Hockey VS North Shore Storm. Bronco Arena
- 6 p.m. — Wing Eating Contest at Viking Bar. Come and test your wing-eating skills. Each person will get 12 wings. The first person to finish their wings wins. $5 entry fee. First Prize – $75, Second Prize – $50 and Third Prize – $25. Call Viking Bar to register, 283-4000.
- 6 p.m. — Bronco Boys Varsity Hockey VS North Shore Storm. Bronco Arena
- 7 – 8 p.m. — Red Neck Trivia at Viking Bar. There are five rounds of Trivia with 10 questions each. Each round, a winner will be determined by most questions correctly answered out of 10. The winner receives a free drink for each round won. Call Viking Bar at 283-4000 for more information.
Friday, January 15, 2016
- 5 – 7 p.m. — Community Wellness Expo: RRCC Commons
- 5 – 7 p.m. — Registration & Packet Pickup – “Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run” 10K and 5K: Commons at Rainy River Community College. Contact the Chamber of Commerce at 218-283-9400 or 800-325-5766. Registration fee is $45 after Dec. 31 and includes a Gizzard Cinch Sack. Packets for participants will also be available before the run on Saturday morning. Packet info also available at www.freezeyergizzardrun.com.
- 5:30 p.m. — Bronco Girls JV Hockey VS Silver Bay. Bronco Arena
- 6 – 7:30 p.m. — Moonlight Snowshoe Hike in Voyageurs National Park. Meet at the Rainy Lake Visitor Center, 6 p.m. Contact Tawnya Schoewe at 283-6670. Come celebrate Icebox Days at your national park. Join a park ranger for a snowshoe walk in the North Woods by the light of the moon. The full moon creates a majestic winter experience on these crisp, clear Minnesota nights. Enjoy the night sky and our snowy wonderland. Snowshoes provided. Warm up afterward with a campfire and hot cocoa. Sponsored by Voyageurs National Park. Disclaimer agreements required.
- 7 p.m. — Viking Bar BARGO at Union Hall. BARGO is just like BINGO, but bar style. Every 10 minutes there is a chance for you to win a free drink. Cards are given out until 8 p.m. only. Buy a drink, and get a card to play for FREE! At 9 p.m., Blackout BARGO starts. Cover your entire card in a certain amount of numbers and win the Jackpot! Call 283-4000 for more information. Must be 21 to participate.
- 7:30 p.m. — Bronco Girls Varsity Hockey VS. NorthShore Storm Bronco Arena
- 10 p.m. — Viking Bar Can Crushing Contest at Viking Bar. Contestants will be given a crusher and cans. Whoever crushes the most cans in one minute wins $50. Call 283-4000 for more information.
Saturday, January 16, 2016
- 7 – 10:30 a.m. — Pancake Breakfast at the Elk’s Lodge No. 1599. Sponsored by Falls Education Foundation. Free will offering. Contact Mary Bigler at 286-3102 for more information.
- 8 a.m. – Noon. — Community Wellness Expo coordinate by the local Community Wellness Action Council.
- 8 – 10 a.m. — Registration for the 5k and 10k Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run at Rainy River Community College Commons. (5K registration closes at 9 a.m. & 10K registration closes at 10 a.m.) RRCC showers and locker rooms are available until 12:30 p.m. only.
- 9:30 a.m. — 5K Fun Run “Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run” 5K Run starts and finishes at Rainy River Community College. Sponsored by Boise Paper, TruStar Federal Credit Union, Coca-Cola Bottling Co., Inc., Essentia Health, Rainy River Community College, KSDM/KGHS Radio, 93.1 The Border, The Journal/North Star Publishing, Midcontinent Communications, Minnesota Energy Resources and Stewart’s Super One Foods. Entry Fee is $45 and includes a FYGBR Cinch sack. A premiere event of Icebox Days! Contact the Chamber of Commerce, 1-800-325-5766 or 218-283-9400. Be BOLD and RUN THE COLD!
- 10:30 a.m. — 10K Race “Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run” 10K Run starts and finishes at Rainy River Community College. Sponsored by Boise Paper, Coca-Cola Bottling Co., Inc., Essentia Health, Midcontinent Communications, Rainy River Community College, Minnesota Power, KSDM/KGHS Radio, 93.1 The Border, The Journal/North Star Publishing, and Minnesota Energy Resources. Entry Fee is $45 and includes a FYGBR Cinch sack. This is the premiere event of Icebox Days! It has been featured by media nationally and internationally. Unpredictable weather conditions for this famous 10k run is part of the adventure! Runners return year after frosty year. Contact the Chamber of Commerce, 1-800-325-5766 or 218-283-9400. Be BOLD and Run the COLD!
- 10 a.m. — Icebox Boot Hockey Tournament (NEW LOCATION) at Ranier Rink. Get a team of 10 gals and guys together, three males & two females on the ice at all times) and join in this fun sport during the winter festival. $75 participation fee per team. 100% Payback – First, Second and Third places. Chamber-awarded cash prizes (Chamber Dollars). Contacts: Chad Korpi at 218-324-1172 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Jesse Belanger at 218-324-1299 or email email@example.com. Adherence to rules and disclaimer-signed agreements by participants are required.
- 10:45 a.m. — Awards Ceremony 5K Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Fun Run held at Rainy River Community College Commons.
- 11:45 a.m. — Awards Ceremony 10K Freeze Yer Gizzard Blizzard Run held at Rainy River Community College Commons.
- Noon — Dart Tournament at Borders Bar & Pizza House. $5 entry, 300% payback. Sign up at 11 a.m. Call Bob at 283-9919 for more information.
- Noon — Frostbite Open Golf Tournament at Thunderbird Lodge on Rainy Lake. Nine ice holes and colored tennis balls shot by golf clubs or hockey sticks. Pre-register teams of four: $25/head. Prizes. Med-range course with Christmas trees. 1 p.m. start and about 1.5 hours to complete; long-drive competition at 3 p.m. Putting green open all day. Contact Eric Johnson: 218-244-6506 or Thunderbird Lodge: 286-3151. Disclaimer agreements required.
- 1 p.m. — Toilet Seat Toss at Viking Bar. Great event for all ages! Come to the Viking Bar and test your toilet-seat-tossing skills. Those that toss the seat the furthest, win! Winning child gets a certificate for $20 to Dairy Queen. Seats provided by Viking Bar. Winning adult gets a certificate for $25 to the Viking Bar, 283-4000. Disclaimer agreements required.
- 1 – 3 p.m. — “Chili Challenge” at Backus. Chili recipes: eat for $6. Includes chili, toppings and beverage. Kids under age 12, accompanied by a paid adult, eat for $2. Vote for your favorite chili, trophies for 1st and 2nd place awarded. Individuals, groups and businesses encouraged to enter! Call Backus at 285-7225 for more information.
- 1 – 3 p.m. — “Turkey Bowling” FREE outdoor event, and one of the most famous! Bowling lanes outdoors at Backus Community Center. Throw a frozen gobbler to knock down as many pins as possible. Prizes awarded. Supervised by Falls High Student Council. Call Backus at 285-7225 for information. Disclaimer agreements required.
- 1:30 p.m. — RRCC Women’s Basketball VS Two Harbors. FHS Gym
- 1 – 3 p.m. — Kids Activities. Free indoor fun for the kids at Backus Community Center. 285-7225
- 2:30 p.m. — KID SMOOSH Races return at Viking Bar. Kids 14 and under. Form a team with two kids per set of Smoosh boards and be at the Viking Bar (Downtown Int’l Falls) by 2:15 pm. $20 to the winner! Everyone will receive a prize for participating! Contact Chris at 218-324-0391 for more information! Will supply kids’ Smoosh boards & hot treats!
- 3 p.m. — ADULT SMOOSH Races at Viking Bar. It’s time for the famous Icebox Days Smoosh Races. Form a team of four people per set of Smoosh boards and be at the Viking Bar by 2:30 p.m. $100 from the Chamber of Commerce to the winner. Ages 15 and older! Contact Chris at 218-324-0391 for more information!
- 3 p.m. — Bronco Girls Varsity Basketball VS Two Harbors. FHS Gym
- 3 p.m. — RRCC Men’s Basketball VS Itasca. RRCC Gym
- 6 p.m. — FIREWORKS by the City of International Falls!! Returning under the winter sky in Smokey Bear Park. Gather along Third Street area.
- 7 p.m. — ALL-NEW ICEBOX PUB CRAWL, Begins and ends at Border Bar with special group transportation that travels a circuit of local pubs for an evening of fun and specials. “Some can run but all can crawl!” Limited seating is available so make your reservations now at the Chamber: 283-9400. Must be 21 to partcipate.
Sunday, January 17, 2016
- 1:30 p.m. — Bridge Tournament (Duplicate Bridge) at First Lutheran Church. Cash prizes in Chamber Dollars by the Chamber of Commerce. Everyone welcome to participate, folks should come with a partner. Contact Byrne & Carole Johnson at 218-286-5225.
- 1 – 4 p.m. – Hot Dog Roast at the Tilson Creek Ski Trailhead on Highway 11 East. Enjoy hot dogs and cocoa as you warm by a toasty bonfire. Polar Polers Ski Club: Teresa, 286-2036, for more information.